Monday, June 2, 2008

A wonderful weekend

Schooner Days! Schooner Days! Schooner Days!!! Each year on the last weekend in May/first weekend in June, the Eden Prairie Lions' Club hosts a carnival named Schooner Days. The carnival consists of rides for kids, games, lots and lots of food, as well as a giant tent for Bingo. I remember being a kid and going to Schooner Days with my parents and always had a great time.

My very first (and only) goldfish was won at Schooner Days (her name was Rosie). I remember having so much fun riding rides, and eating cotton candy and mini donuts (which have gotten spendy at $3.50 and $4.00 per bag, respectively). I always remember that my Dad would volunteer (he was a fireman), and Mom and I would come down to see him. We'd have hot dogs and then they would play bingo.

This is how I remember Schooner Days...I'm sure that if you asked my parents...the story would be somewhat different. Nevertheless, I really enjoyed playing bingo and the atmosphere of the weekend couldn't be beat! Every year since I have been back home (2004), I have been meaning to go to Schooner Days. This year, I finally made it!!! I brought my friends Tassy, Adam, and their 3 boys (Alex - 5, Max - 2, and Nick - 1), and my roommate Lisa. We all had fun, the two older boys rode rides, and we had a picnic in the soccer fields of the high school who shares the parking lot.

I have to admit that Schooner Days is much smaller than I remember it being, but I suppose that's what happens when you grow up. To complete our day, we headed back to Tassy and Adam's house where we taught Alex how to play spoons while the little ones slept. Talk about fun! Try playing spoons with a 5 year old...sober... I rounded out my evening with Tassy and Adam by playing Mariokart on the Wii with their boys and going back to Schooner Days to play bingo with Tassy.

It is still just as popular as I remember it being, but the people are so much younger than I remember... Such was my Saturday! Sunday was pretty low key with the spring purging occuring.

That's it from this end! I leave you with pictures from Kaity's visit to the Wildlife Sanctuary in Australia. She's still doing well in school, getting to get out and do more this semester. Sister night isn't the same without her, but she's having the experience of a lifetime.









No comments: